We have all heard about the saying “health is wealth,” but how many of us incorporate this in our daily lives? No doubt, following a healthy lifestyle takes a lot of discipline and commitment, but it will reap benefits in the long run. If you want to get stronger and better physically, you need a healthy lifestyle along with a regular exercise routine.
Many people want to start on a healthy journey but don’t know how to, and in this blog, we will help you improve your lifestyle with the help of useful tips that work!
Reasons Why It is Important to Follow a Healthy Lifestyle
Before we learn about the various healthy changes you can make in your lifestyle, let’s discuss some major benefits of following a healthy diet and regular exercise routine –
- A healthy lifestyle goes a long way and makes a noticeable difference in your body. Do you know, according to a 2020 study, just a 66-gram increase in daily fruit & vegetable consumption can reduce the risk of type-2 diabetes by up to 25%?
- A nutritious diet and proper exercise regime can reduce the risk of various diseases, including genetic ones.
- Healthy food options might be costlier than junk and processed food, but they will surely save you a lot of visits to the doctor. Thus, healthy life habits can save a lot of money by reducing diseases, illnesses, and medicinal expenses.
- Opting for a more nutritious diet and leading an active lifestyle can also impact your lifespan. Keeping a check on your smoking habits and alcohol consumption while maintaining a healthy body weight can add up to 14 years to your life. These little daily habits leave a positive impact in the years to come.
- Eating fruits and vegetables and exercising regularly can also better your mental well-being and is linked to fewer symptoms of depression & anxiety. Healthy food options or supplements contain necessary vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that can help regulate brain functions, cognitive functions, and mood.
Effective Ways to Adhere to a Healthy Lifestyle
When it comes to a healthy regime, little habits go a long way. Here are our top 10 recommendations to help you get on the health wagon with ease –
1. Follow a Balanced Diet
A healthy diet is easier to follow than you’d think! Consider these steps to include more balanced meals into your diet –
- Add variety to your meals with fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, nutraceutical supplements, etc, to provide proper nutrition. Consuming more vegetables and fruits is associated with better heart health, among many other benefits.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains to increase your resting metabolic rate, which helps your body burn more calories at rest.
- Reduce your daily salt consumption to not more than one teaspoon to limit the amount of sodium.
- Just like salt, consuming too much sugar can also lead to health issues. Limit your sugar intake to up to 12 teaspoons a day, and avoid sweetened drinks, like packaged fruit juices and sodas.
Sometimes, even after following a healthy diet plan, your body can lack some essential nutrition. To bridge this gap, you can also make supplements, like whey protein, multivitamins, BCAA, etc, part of your diet, especially if you workout regularly. Eligator’s ISO cool whey protein isolate, made of high-quality ingredients and in a delicious choco bourbon flavor, adds more protein to your diet.
2. Be More Physically Active
It goes without saying, but daily movements are imperative for a healthy body. Try to get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week, whether through working out at a gym or doing pilates at home. The important thing is to choose a physical activity that you enjoy, and it can be as easy as a walk in nature or salsa dancing. A regular exercise routine not only helps in maintaining a healthy weight but can decrease the risk of many serious diseases that can be a result of an inactive lifestyle.
3. Remember to Hydrate
You must be living under a rock if you don’t know how important hydration is! Your body needs at least eight glasses of water a day for regular bowel function, muscle performance, immunity, and skin health. Since our bodies are made up of 80% water, not drinking enough of it, can lead to dehydration, fatigue, headaches, and weakened immunity.
4. Proper Sleep
We all know about the importance of good sleep, don’t we? There is a link between sleep and the immune system, and a good sleep of seven to nine hours heals and strengthens our body, which is essential for our physical as well as mental well-being. It also lowers your risk for serious health problems, like diabetes, and supports to maintain a healthy body weight.
5. Limit Alcohol and Say No to Smoking
Alcohol doesn’t only disrupt our sleeping schedule; consuming excess alcohol can lead to liver disease. It can lead to high blood pressure and weaken our heart muscles, which can cause heart failure.
Alcohol can also cause impaired judgment, and men should limit alcoholic drinks to two a day, while women should avoid more than one drink a day. Similarly, smoking can also cause many diseases. You need to quit smoking to lead a healthy life and protect your organs from cancerous diseases. Drinking and smoking also pull down the stamina built after so much hard work.
6. Manage Your Stress Levels
Stress can be a trigger for many illnesses, including migraines and heart problems. If you feel a lot of stress, you need to manage your stress levels by practicing meditation, guided yoga, listening to music, going for walks in nature, and doing breathing exercises.
7. Protect Your Skin from Harmful Sun Rays
Taking care of your skin is another priority when it comes to following a healthy lifestyle. Long exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancers, and you can avoid this by staying out of the sun whenever possible and using sunscreens regularly as a part of your skincare routine.
8. Add Discipline and Schedule to
Your Everyday Routine
You might feel that it is overrated, and many keep bragging about it; but the truth is that if you wish to have a healthy lifestyle, then building and adhering to a schedule that includes exercise, healthy food habits, timed work hours, good sleep and clear goals can take your physical goals sky high.
9. Don’t Shy Away From Taking Supplements
Not every individual intakes the optimum nutrients needed by the body through a regular diet. If this is the case with you, then don’t shy away from taking supplements. Consult a healthcare professional and take multivitamins, protein supplements, EAA, and others as recommended to maintain a healthy body.
10. Change Your Night Schedule
When we talk about the night schedule, it is not just about good sleep but also a stress-free and calm sleep environment. Good health also needs a peaceful and stress-free sleep. Limit your screen time before sleep, and switch to meditative music for a peaceful rest before dozing off.
Apart from the above regular weight watching, checkups, and finding ways to release stress to manage your emotions and keep peace mentally are other aspects that help to lead a healthy lifestyle. You must ensure to work on yourself and give time to yourself to live a healthy and happy life.