Whey protein is hands down the most common supplement used by fitness enthusiasts to achieve their desired body. It certainly has many benefits and uses, one of which is weight gain. If you are naturally skinny or want to bulk up, then you might think of using protein supplements. But the real question is – does whey protein help with weight gain? We are here to answer all your queries and help you choose the best whey protein for weight gain.
Basics of Whey Protein
Whey protein is the liquid component that is strained off while curdling milk and is used all over the world as the most common supplement for protein requirements. It is a complete protein with all nine essential amino acids. This makes it a superfood for your muscles to recover and grow well. A whey protein powder essentially has five main components – beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, glycomacropeptide, immunoglobins, and bovine serum albumin. Whey protein powder is used by fitness enthusiasts for multiple needs, such as fulfilling their protein intake, building muscles, reducing muscle loss, and gaining weight.
How Does Whey Protein Help with Weight Gain?
Before consuming whey protein for weight gain, it is vital to understand how whey protein helps in the process. Here is how consuming a whey protein supplement helps individuals reach their weight gain goals –
1. Whey protein is the most used form of protein supplement to increase protein intake. When you consume enough protein, it helps your muscles to grow and leads to bulking up. Whey protein is shown to help with muscle performance and helps with bone density, which contributes to weight gain.
2. It is easy and convenient to use, especially for people who are unable to fulfill their dietary needs through their regular diet. Regularly consuming whey protein powders helps people meet their nutritional targets.
3. A lot of whey protein powders formulated for weight gain contain large amounts of calories, which makes it easy to reach a calorie surplus. Thus, you are feeding your muscles with protein while increasing your calorie intake.
4. Whey protein is used by many older people to gain weight by maintaining their muscle mass, and it helps older people prevent the risk of sarcopenia. This leads to better muscle composition even when you get older, which reduces the chances of muscle loss and, thus, leads to lesser chances of weight loss.
Key Factors to Look For While Choosing the Best Whey Protein Powder for Weight Gain
Now that we understand how whey protein works for weight gain, it is essential to learn about the elements that make a particular protein powder the right choice for gaining weight. You need to look at the following factors while choosing whey protein for beginners –
- First and foremost, the calorie count matters a lot! You need to check the number of calories per serving to ensure that the powder meets not only your protein targets but helps you achieve a calorie surplus. For this, you need to first assess the amount of additional calories you need per day and then choose the whey protein formula that meets the target.
- Next, the protein content should be high to ensure that you are gaining weight by increasing muscle mass and not fat. Read the protein profile of the particular protein powder to make sure that your protein targets are being fulfilled.
- We know that increasing the daily calorie intake is the key to gaining weight, but empty calories might increase body fat. Many protein powders increase their calorie count by using a lot of sugar in the formula. Gaining weight from protein powders containing high sugar quantities is not a healthy way; thus, you should ensure that you choose a supplement that has a lower sugar content.
- Although protein is the most important nutrient when opting for whey protein for weight gain, you can’t ignore other macronutrients. Your chosen whey protein supplement should contain macronutrients, like carbs, to ensure optimum energy levels while gaining weight.
- Lastly, make sure there are no confusing or hidden ingredients in the product label and look for terms like non-GMO ingredients and third-party tested.
Thus, the healthiest way to include protein supplements in your diet is by ensuring that they meet your calorie and macronutrient targets without being too high on sugar.
How Can You Use Whey Protein to Gain Weight?
Whey protein supplements are commonly found in powdered forms. Thus, they are mostly used in the form of protein shakes. You can consume the powdered serving mixed with water or milk to create the easiest shake. If you want to add more calories to your protein shakes, you can add peanut butter, almond butter, or full-cream milk as a healthy-fat ingredient. You can also mix the powder into your food and drinks, like your morning coffee, oats, or pancakes, to consume the supplement without any extra effort.
When Should You Consume Whey Protein Supplements for Weight Gain?
Timing makes a whole lot of difference while consuming supplements, and whey protein is no different. When taking whey protein for weight gain, the main focus is to consume more healthy calories. For this, you can consume whey protein supplements between your meals so they don’t ruin your appetite. For individuals who want to gain muscles along with weight gain, then whey protein can also be consumed after the workout session to help with muscle growth and recovery.
Many people wonder whether whey protein should be consumed regularly. The answer is yes, as the supplement helps you reach your extra-calorie needs, which ultimately contributes to weight gain. It is also important to stick to the serving size and not overconsume whey protein; otherwise, it can do more harm than good.
Top Recommendations to Choose The Best Protein Powder for Weight Gain
Many times, people get confused while selecting the right supplement for their weight gain needs. This is why we have curated this recommendation list of the top whey protein powders –
Eligator 100% Platinum Whey
With 180 calories and 20 grams of protein per scoop, this whey protein formula can be consumed to give you that extra edge while being in a calorie surplus. The supplement is also rich in amino acid profile which makes gaining weight a healthy process. You can consume it as a post-workout supplement in your favorite flavor to meet your nutritional needs while satisfying your taste buds.
Eligator 100% Whey Protein
The 100% whey protein powder is the best whey protein for beginners, athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts. The whey protein by Eligator contains 118 calories per scoop and a protein content of 22 grams. It also has 5.5 grams of BCAA per serving to feed your muscles with sustainable energy for growth and recovery. This supplement is made with a multi-whey mega blend, and you can consume two servings per day to gain weight and fulfill your protein requirements.
Eligator ISO Cool Whey Isolate
Made with pure whey isolate form, which has the highest percentage of protein concentration, the ISO cool powder can help you consume 116 calories with 27 grams of protein per scoop. This supplement can be easily absorbed and leads to zero digestion issues. If you want to gain weight with the optimum body composition, then consuming this whey isolate powder after a workout session can lead to effective results.
Eligator Perfect Whey
Eligator-perfect whey powder contains BCAA, along with EAA, which ensures that your muscles get a constant supply of amino acids. It contains 182 calories and 22 grams of protein in every scoop, making it a great option for regular consumption.
Eligator Premium Whey
Made with pure whey concentrate, the premium whey protein powder provides 112 calories and 26 grams of high-quality protein. Eligator Premium Whey is also ideal for muscle gain as it has naturally occurring nutrients. This makes it a safe and authentic choice. The supplement also boosts immunity levels, and consuming two scoops a day can help you fulfill your caloric requirements for weight gain.
Eligator Ultra Micro-Filtered Whey Protein
The ultra micro-filtered whey protein formula contains whey protein in its concentrated form and provides 175 calories. This powder supports your muscles and ensures that you gain weight through muscle recomposition and not through more body fat. The whey protein supplement is available in varied flavors and size options to make sure that your weight gain protein drink is filled with your favorite flavor.
What are you waiting for; visit at Eligator Nutrition to check out these supplements and choose the one that fits your fitness needs the most.
Are Whey Protein Supplements Enough to Gain Weight?
The biggest problem with consuming supplements regularly is dependency. Similarly, many individuals start to depend on whey protein powders for all their weight gain needs. The truth is that whey protein supplements designed for weight gain mainly serve two purposes – increasing calories and meeting protein requirements. These supplements alone cannot lead to weight gain, and you need to incorporate other lifestyle changes.
Hence, understanding your supplements before choosing the right product is essential to gain a healthy weight. To reap the maximum results from the protein supplement, combine it with weight training and a nutrient-dense diet.