These days, everyone wants to build a muscular physique, but it takes a lot to create a regime that you can sustain. One of the many essential elements you need while following a muscle-building process is protein. There are many forms of protein supplements in the market, but whey protein stands out.
Now, you might be wondering why and when you should take whey protein for muscle building and which whey protein you should go for. Don’t worry; we are here to address your curiosity about the best whey protein for muscle gain.
What is Whey Protein?
First, let’s learn what whey protein is. Whey protein is one of the best-studied supplements, and it is a mixture of proteins isolated from the liquid part of milk that separates during cheese production. Whey is found in the watery part of milk, and this byproduct goes through different processes to be formulated into protein.
One serving of whey protein roughly contains 120 calories and 24 grams of protein, along with 2 grams of fat and 3 grams of carbs. This makes whey protein supplements an ideal choice, even for people who want to lose weight while building muscles.
Different Types of Whey Protein For Muscle Building
Whey protein comes in different forms, and the difference lies in how they are processed.
1. Whey protein concentrate – this form contains about 70-80% protein, some lactose, fat, and many other beneficial nutrients.
2. Whey protein isolate – the isolate form contains more than 90% protein, less lactose, and lacks most of the nutrients found in the concentrate form.
3. Whey protein hydrolysate – this is a pre-digested form that gets absorbed easily and is also known as hydrolyzed whey.
Whey Concentrate V/S Isolate – What to Choose?
Whey isolate is a good option for people who are lactose intolerant and are looking to build muscles while losing fat. On the other hand, whey concentrate is suitable for better workout recovery and promotes muscle growth. Isolate is more expensive than concentrate and requires more processing to filter out the carbs and fats.
Benefits of Consuming Whey Protein Powder
Whey protein supplements are extremely high in nutrition and have numerous health benefits, including muscle gain. Here are some top advantages of consuming the best whey protein –
1. If you are looking for whey protein for muscle building, then here are some effects of whey supplements on muscle mass –
- It provides protein and amino acids, which serve as building blocks to support muscle growth.
- Whey protein contains the amino acid leucine, which aids in muscle protein synthesis at both molecular and genetic levels.
- It affects the anabolic hormones and can stimulate muscle growth hormones like insulin.
- Whey protein powder is absorbed in the body very quickly and can be better utilized than other proteins.
- It is effective in preventing age-related muscle loss and can improve strength and endurance levels.
2. Apart from being an excellent source of protein for muscle gain, whey protein can reduce blood pressure. It contains ACE inhibitors called lactokinins that have beneficial effects on blood pressure.
3. It can also help treat type 2 diabetes and can help regulate insulin and blood sugar levels, even more than egg whites or fish.
4. Chronic inflammation, which can lead to many risky diseases, can be reduced with whey protein. It reduces C-reactive protein, which is a key marker of body inflammation and can also aid with bowel problems.
5. It can enhance the body’s antioxidant defenses and reduce oxidative stress. It is also highly satiating and can help curb appetite and boost metabolism for individuals who aim to lose weight.
You May Like this: Benefits Of The Best Pre-Workout Supplements And Its Essential Ingredients
Which Whey Protein Supplement is Good for Muscle Building?
Now that we know the relation between whey protein and muscle gain, let’s discuss some whey protein supplements that are best to support muscle growth –
- Eligator 100% Platinum Whey
This platinum whey protein powder is the best whey protein for muscle gain. This supplement is formulated with amino acids to help with muscle growth and recovery. Each serving provides 20 grams of whey protein to maximize performance, and this supplement is available in a 900-gram and 2 kg container, along with varied flavors.
- Eligator 100% Platinum Whey
Formulated for athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts, the 100% whey protein powder is an extreme multi-whey mega blend of the isolate, concentrate, and peptide forms. With 22 grams of protein per serving provided in the form of only 118 calories, you can consume this supplement even when you are focused on weight loss while building muscles.
- Eligator ISO Cool Whey Protein Isolate
Made with clean and pure isolate, this ISO cool supplement supports fast absorption and energy restoration. It also provides naturally occurring BCAA and ECAA and has a high protein content of 27 grams per scoop. Available in choco and kulfi flavors, you can consume one to two servings of the protein powder for maximum results.
- Eligator Perfect Whey
Eligator perfect whey is perfect for individuals who want to build lean muscle mass. This whey protein contains BCAA and EAA, along with 22 grams of protein per serving. The supplement provides proper support for both immediate and long-term muscle recovery for the muscle growth process.
- Eligator Premium Whey Protein 900 G
This premium whey protein powder is the best whey protein for muscle building, and each scoop provides 26 grams of protein. The supplement is a clean whey protein concentrate, which is perfect for muscle growth and repair. This formula can help boost immunity levels, and it is beneficial for nutritional regimes.
- Eligator Whey Protein Ultra Micro Filtered
The micro-filtered whey protein has zero sugar and provides an ideal profile of amino acids, BCAAs, and whey concentrate. It also supports weight management by curbing appetite and boosting workout performance. This high-quality protein powder contains 30 grams of protein and 6.7 grams of BCAA and is available in different delicious flavors, like chocolate and mango. With quick digestion properties, the supplement can be absorbed for early muscle recovery and proper growth.
Wondering where you can find these whey protein supplements? You can check out these products at Eligator Nutrition and choose from the various flavor and size options.
When Should You Consume Whey Protein?
The best time to consume whey protein depends on your specific goals, and for effective results, you should follow these guidelines –
- If your goal is gaining muscles, then the best whey protein for muscle gain should be consumed after the workout session. Fitness enthusiasts often recommend taking the protein powder 15 to 60 minutes after a workout.
- If your goal is to prevent muscle loss, protein should be taken with every meal to fulfill your daily protein requirement.
- For better exercise and performance recovery, protein powders can be consumed during the training sessions or immediately after.
- For fat loss along with muscle gain, the best whey protein powder should be consumed in between meals to curb appetite and gain muscles.
In a nutshell, whey protein is mostly recommended after workouts or in between meals. Some fitness experts also suggest taking the protein supplement before bed to increase strength and aid muscle recovery.
How Much Protein Should You Consume?
A lot of people struggle to understand the right amount of protein for their bodies. As a general rule, it is advised to consume 0.6 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you are gaining muscles, you can be at the higher end of protein consumption, and if your focus is on preventing muscle loss, then 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound is a perfect balance.
See this also: How To Find Best Supplement Stack For Cutting In 2024
Myths About Whey Protein Supplements
Since whey protein is the most popular form of protein supplements, there have been many myths about its consumption. Let’s debunk a few of the common whey protein myths –
- There is a myth surrounding too much protein consumption, which is blown out of proportion. You can consume large amounts of protein without worrying about any harmful side effects as long as you are strength-training and building muscles.
- Another common misconception is that women shouldn’t consume whey protein, which does not hold any ground. It is safe for women to use whey as their protein source unless they are facing some underlying health conditions. If you have health problems, you can consult your health professional before consuming them to be on the safe side.
- It’s been said time and again that whey protein is only needed for bodybuilders and athletes, but it can be consumed by anyone who is struggling with their protein intake. Consuming whey protein is not only linked to muscle gain but also to many other health benefits.
- Lastly, a lot of people claim that whey protein can damage kidneys, which only holds when you already have an underlying kidney disease. As for other people, whey protein supplements are safe for the kidneys.
Thus, protein is a very crucial element in muscle-building, and whey protein is a protein in its best form. You can consume whey protein supplements regularly with a nutritious diet and support your workouts for better muscle growth and recovery.